Assistant Superintendent of Building Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking an Assistant Superintendent of Building Services. As the community center of the University, the Illini Union draws together all members of the University with approximately 16,000 visits of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests on a daily basis.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The Assistant Superintendent of Building Services assists in the supervision of building service functions, such as area cleaning, floor treatment, meeting room set-ups, trash collection and other related functions.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervises custodial work, with direct supervision of the Building Service Foremen and Building Sub- foreman. Interviews and hires Foremen, Sub-foremen, and Building Service Workers on all shifts. Trains Foremen and Sub-foremen and ensure proper training of Building Service Workers. Arranges and adjusts work schedules to meet the needs of the Illini Union.
2. Supervises preparation for public functions/special events? review requirements of public functions and/or special events for the Illini Union and arrange for any necessary equipment and personnel to do set- ups. Supervises set-ups as required for special events both inside and outside the building.
3. Assists in the development of standard workloads and inspects areas of work for cleaning and safety standards, inspects inside of building for repairs, i.e. flooring materials, walls, and furnishings. Inspects cleaning equipment for needed repairs of replacement. Reports repairs and replacement requirements. Conducts testing of new products and equipment. Assists in equipment inventory control.
4. Evaluates the work performance of employees supervised.
5. Provides monthly and yearly budgets for all cleaning and maintenance supplies. Purchase and inventory all cleaning supplies. Manages expenses involved in the building service programs.
6. Reports to the Assistant Director for Facilities regarding repair orders on furnishings and equipment or proposes options for replacement of same.
7. Attends Illini Union all-building and departmental staff meetings at the direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities, conduct weekly meetings with all Building Service Worker Foreman and Sub-foreman, conduct monthly meetings with all shifts of Building Service Workers.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
9. Performs biannual inventory of furniture & equipment and provides data to Illini Union Business Affairs and University OBFS.
1. Any one or any combination of the following types of preparation:
1. credit for progressively more advanced college course work leading to a major in any field
2. work experience having full responsibility for the supervision, work assignments, and control of employees performing institutional housekeeping duties (such as a fore-person in institutional custodial operations)
that totals 1.0 unit according to the following conversion rates:
- Bachelor's degree (or 120 semester hours) of "A" = 1.0 unit
- three years of "B" = 1.0 unit
Amounts of training or experience less than those listed above should be converted to decimal equivalents of 1.0 unit and added together when computing combinations of the different types of preparation.
2. three years of work experience in the supervision and/or management of institutional housekeeping programs, in addition to the training/experience required in #1 above.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of housekeeping techniques and procedures used in commercial, institutional, and/or university building services.
2. Working knowledge of safety principles, practices, and techniques.
3. Supervisory ability.
Successful Candidates will have:
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of custodial duties and materials used in maintaining the various types of surfaces in the Illini Union; maintains currency with trends in custodial maintenance industry and implements new techniques and technology were applicable; demonstrates applied knowledge in managing hazardous materials safety and safety data sheet (SDS) management programs.
- Knowledge of equipment in the Illini Union related to use in public functions and special events.
- Communication abilities in dealing with those persons working under his/her supervision and also when discussing with other departments their needs for set-ups.
- Supervisory skills and intermediate computer literacy and familiarity with custodial maintenance planning software, inventory control software, and work order systems are required.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Assistant Superintendent of Building Services position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after August 19, 2020. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by August 19, 2020. Apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Illini Union Human Resources and Administrative Shared Services at email@example.com or at 217-333-3660. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency