Door Access Control Technician
ID Card Services is seeking a Door Access Control Technician who will be responsible for the installation, repair, and routine or emergency maintenance of building access control, security devices, door/lock hardware and POS devices. Estimate new jobs and provide feedback to customers. Keep and maintain an accurate inventory of equipment used for J-Card installations. Create and update door access plans and door permission schedules. Participate in the on-call rotation to provide support for the campus-wide access-control system.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Install, test, and maintain the functionality of all field devices related to the Blackboard Transact and S2 access control system.
- Monitor over 1000 access control readers and their security downloads.
- Perform routine troubleshooting and maintenance tasks on the BbTS/S2 equipment and electrified door hardware.
- Coordinate door access and lock problems with Facilities and the Lock Shop.
- Work closely with the outside contractor for cabling and hardware installations.
- Communicate with IT@ Mt. Washington and Blackboard Support to resolve equipment and software issues. Test and support system upgrades.
- Coordinate with the JHU Networking (HITS) for correct cable management, labeling, IP addresses and to troubleshoot J-Card network issues.
- Obtain static IP addresses for all controllers and POS devices and submit to Central IT for network monitoring.
- Create new merchants, set up access plans, update door permission schedules, and create necessary holiday schedules for events and university closings.
- Travel to offsite locations for servicing Blackboard devices at Eastern, Peabody, SOE, SAIS and the Montgomery County campus.
- Monitor vending services, laundry, and point of sales systems to include troubleshooting, testing, repairs and replacement recommendations.
- Create and resolve JIRAs (project management tool) as needed with IT@ Mt. Washington.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of Blackboard equipment by keeping track of all devices and parts used in J-Card installations. Update device location spreadsheets to be used in the J-Card Cost Allocation and perform quarterly audits.
- Open cases with vendor for broken equipment, ship out, track status and log back into inventory when complete.
- Serve as technical advisor to management on the evaluation and effectiveness of existing technologies currently being used by the card office. Offer suggestions on alternatives that would increase service, reduce cost and streamline operations.
- Meet with customers, gather requirements and assist in providing system design services.
- Formulate and define scope for new installations. Provide estimates on a timely basis. Start and end jobs in the agreed upon timeframe.
- Request IP addresses and set up Master controllers in the IT closets
- Work with the space owners to define access control needs. Set up doors and permissions on the agreed upon scheduling.
- Set up users and assign access in Blackboard Transact
- Perform installation closeouts with the budget analyst
- Document all door information
- Cultivate effective working relationships with academic departments, Security, Schools, Facilities, Design & Construction, Consultants, Contractors and the IT staff at Homewood and Mt. Washington.
- Stop and start Host Monitor as needed.
- Check in daily with the contractor for job status and assistance
- Refresh controllers as needed.
- Resolve system errors messages.
- Review Denied Transaction Report and follow up on errors.
- Check POS status information.
- Respond to service requests for maintenance and support.
- Routine maintenance on door hardware to ensure proper functionality
- Provide coverage to the card production office when needed
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Two years college course work required, preferably IT/electrical related. Additional experience can be substituted for education.
- Two years related experience including card access control systems, wiring, electronic diagnosis and maintenance and lock hardware installation/maintenance. 12/24 volt control knowledge a plus.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
- Security project lead experience and certifications in access control.
- Blackboard Transact Hardware and s2 certification to be obtained in probation period.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong customer-service skills with good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to express technical issues to a host of audiences.
- Excellent skills in planning and organizing with attention to detail.
- Strong technical skills in micro-computers and networking.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office.
- Must be able to work with a wide-range of personality types in a variety of business situations.
Classified Title: Sr. Technical Support Analyst
Working Title: Door Access Control Technician
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OG
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: ID Card Services
Personnel area: Homewood Student Affairs
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Door-Access-Control-Technician-MD-21217/880985500/
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-060f0896d1e93246a1de2dad5f60a4b4