- Electrical Engineer Specialist - Facilities and Services
- Go to our website »
Electrical Engineer Specialist - Facilities and Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Responsible for the design, development, and review of electrical engineering projects for campus buildings under the supervision of licensed professional engineer. Produce and deliver engineering opinions, design reviews, technical decisions, recommendations, and documentation to F&S departments, campus, and other University units under the supervision of licensed professional engineer. Description too Large. Unable to load this field.
Duties and Responsibilities
PROJECT DESIGN AND REVIEW
- Provide analysis of existing electrical systems of campus buildings for condition assessment, operating capacity, functionality, compatibility with associated systems and use of spaces served under the supervision of licensed professional engineer.
- Provide troubleshooting expertise for existing electrical systems that are not functioning properly to identify problems, determine appropriate resolution, and provide recommended corrective work in project program analysis format with clear definition of scope and probable costs under the supervision of licensed professional engineer.
- Provide detailed design documents (drawings and specifications) for construction projects for remodeling, renovation, repair, replacement, or new work under the supervision of licensed professional engineer. This includes all necessary engineering analysis, design and layout of complex lighting, low & medium voltage electrical systems, and its coordination with other aspects of the project.
- Prepare and present reports, programs, displays, or drawings to management or staff as assigned.
- Provide detailed engineering reanalysis for lighting, building low voltage and medium voltage electrical systems using Visual Lighting, ComCheck, or suitable software.
- Utilize software and information resources available to the F&S Division. This includes the Microsoft Office (Teams, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), AutoCAD, Bluebeam, AiM, the my.fs.illinois.edu Portal, SharePoint, and internet offerings.
- Attend meetings as the Design Services representative, as assigned, on projects through completion of warranty phase.
- Provide detailed engineering review of projects designed by outside consultants under the supervision of licensed professional engineer. Prepare written review comments for items not in accordance with codes, the UIUC Facilities Standards and for items not compatible, coordinated, or acceptable for the use proposed. May participate in formal or informal discussions concerning these comments.
- Provide project program analysis to determine detailed scope, schedule, and budget for proposed repair, renovation, remodel, replacement, or new work as assigned.
- Establish, update, and meet project schedules. Note significant milestones and deadlines, potential construction conflicts, sequencing and phasing concerns and building/site accessibility. Estimate hours and duration required for tasks of self, technicians, and others involved in development of design, construction administration and project close-out.
- Manage work assignments, establish project priorities, and resolve design issues. Confer with Management Engineers and Associate Director regarding resource needs and schedules.
- Develop weekly forecast of planned work and provide periodic project status reports. Update the design teammates and client routinely and upon changes in scope, schedule, budget, or status.
- Compare and incorporate results of previous projects and develop schedule and resource allocations required to meet needs of project and client.
SUPPORT TO OTHER UNITS
- Provide technical support to F&S Crafts and Trades for equipment selection, troubleshooting of system problems, development of preventive maintenance needs and answer technical questions under the supervision of licensed professional engineer.
- Provide technical support to Commissioning and Inspection group including shop drawing review, contract document interpretations, code & standards interpretations, testing procedures and start-up under the supervision of licensed professional engineer.
- Provide technical engineering consultation and support to other Facilities & Services units as well as campus units.
- Encourage and foster development of information sharing with Building Information Management (BIM), Asset Management Systems for the University environment, with a focus on usage by Building Maintenance & Grounds (BMG), Utilities and Energy Services (U&ES), and Engineering & Construction Services (ECS) personnel.
- Assist Capital Programs Planners and/or Project Managers in the preparation of project descriptions, preliminary budget and applicable scope of professional services required for each project as requested. Evaluate types of Feasibility Studies required to appropriately meet institutional requirements.
- Participate in the process for the selection of Professional Services Consultants, as assigned.
- Participate in focus groups, F&S and campus committees, and initiatives as assigned.
- Attend training for leadership, teambuilding, and professional development.
- Provide assessment of new technologies, equipment and systems for related new electrical technologies for their applicability to our projects and UIUC Facilities Standards.
- Prepare and present training sessions for staff for various topics as assigned.
- Maintain knowledge in current building codes, University Facilities Standards, State and Federal regulations, and energy codes needed to adequately meet the needs of the Engineering Services Department.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Prepare, review, coordinate, and implement updates to assigned areas of the University Facilities Standards.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, faculty, staff, administration, professional consultants, and contractors.
- Standing : Occasionally
- Walking : Occasionally
- Stairs : Rarely
- Sitting : Frequently
- Lifting/Carrying : Rarely
- Talking : Frequently
- Hearing : Frequently
- Repetitive Motions : Occasionally
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination : Occasionally
- Visual Acuity : Frequently
- Extreme cold : Rarely
- Extreme heat : Rarely
- Noise : Rarely
- Work Outdoors : Rarely
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) : Rarely
Additional Physical Demands
Support the Mission, Vision, Values, and Guiding Principles of Facilities & Services.
- Bachelors degree.
- Three years of professional experience in the engineering design of lighting, low and medium voltage electrical systems for buildings and sites.
- Experience with building systems, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and/or building automation and control systems.
1. Bachelors or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, or a related technology degree in Electrical Engineering, or a related degree from an accredited institution.
2. Current Professional Engineer license in the state of Illinois. (DELETED DISCIPLINE)
3. Five (5) or more years of professional work experience in the design lighting, building low voltage and medium voltage electrical systems.
4. Moderate to strong working skills with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
5. Strong working skills in lighting & electrical software.
6. CEM, CEFP, LEED, or additional certification in engineering, energy, or facility management.
7. Experience in the Siemens and Schneider Electric I/A Building Automation control systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Prefer: Strong working knowledge of applicable building codes, standards, and regulations, including the International Building Code, International Energy Conservation Code, National Electric Code, and ASHRAE 90.1.
2. Prefer: Strong working knowledge of applicable higher education standards, including University of Illinois at Urban-Champaign Facilities Standards.
3. Prefer: Strong working skills with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
4. Prefer: Strong trouble shooting skills for performance of building systems.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5002 - Program Coordinator position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 5/16/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on May 19, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact Ken McCray @ firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
Requisition ID: 1016891
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: jobs.illinois.edu
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency