- Horticultural /Landscape Technician
- Go to our website »
Horticultural /Landscape Technician
Requisition Number: 2023S017Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Division: Finance and Administration
Department: Facilities - Grounds
It is the mission of the Facilities Department at Colgate University to create the safest, cleanest, and most comfortable environment that further distinguishes Colgate University as a world-class educational institution. We work hard as part of a unified team, to make everyone who arrives on campus feel welcomed.
"One team, one mission"
The Facilities Department provides the physical environment, utilities, and facilities support services necessary to promote the educational and research activities of the university. To ensure quality service to our community, we provide strong coordination and communications between multi-functional groups and our customers, with a customer-oriented approach. Training and development of self-directed teams promotes a work environment that encourages employee initiative, engagement and development.
The carefully preserved architecture, immaculate grounds, and a hillside setting, rank Colgates campus among the most beautiful in the nation.
Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Promote a high standard of quality for the University's landscape, including maintaining a manicured aesthetic, completing general beautification projects, and being a responsible steward of the University's landscape assets.
- Monitor and maintain health of plant material and troubleshoot problematic landscape areas.
- Edge, mulch, and remove weeds, litter, and debris from tree rings and landscape beds.
- Plant and/or transplant plant material and edge and mulch landscape beds.
- Trim, prune, brush cut, and/or remove plant material as needed.
- Water plant material during periods of drought or initial establishment.
- Select, order, and pick-up/deliver plant material to incorporate into campus landscape beds.
- Train and delegate tasks to grounds crew and interns for larger landscape projects.
- Provide input on capital projects & collaborate on new landscape initiatives.
- Perform other duties in support of general Grounds tasks during down periods and inclement weather.
- Proficient in horticultural best management practices and proper methods/techniques for effective landscape maintenance.
- Working knowledge of plant material, including identification, health/cultural requirements, and ability to identify weeds and invasive species.
- Operate typical landscape tools and power equipment, including but not limited to pickup trucks, small tractor and landscape equipment with implements, mowers, string trimmers, hand tools, etc.
- Basic computer skills, including Gmail, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the ability to use computer programs to complete work order entries, procure materials, generate estimates, etc.
- Proactive, high attention to detail, and takes ownership of garden and landscape beds.
- Ability to problem-solve and prioritize landscape maintenance tasks.
- Strong customer service, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently or as a team, and adaptability to support general Grounds tasks.
- Maintain a respectful and professional attitude at all times, and embrace a work setting with a diverse campus population of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Ability to attain certifications that advance knowledge in the field of horticulture.
- Ability to work overtime as required, including evenings, nights, and weekend hours to assist with the support of large campus events.
- CDL (Class B) permit
- New York State DEC Certified Pesticide Applicator/Technician
- Certified Nursery Landscape Professional (CNLP)
- ASHA Certified Horticulturalist
- ISA Certified Arborist or ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist
Minimum of a two year degree in horticulture, landscape design & management, or similar degree; or the equivalent of 5 years of education and/or experience from which similar skills can be attained is required.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit. Employees in this unit have until March 8th, 2023 to apply for consideration.
- The successful candidate will be able to determine if they would like a 9-month position, March - November, with the option of working the additional months to support other roles within the Facilities Department.
- Work schedule for the months of March - November will be primarily 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. If electing to work December - February, hours of work will be determined by assigned area.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Director of Facilities Operations in coordination with the Landscape Project Manager.
Monday-Friday with occasional weekends
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgates Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at email@example.com. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/4789
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency