This ad is expired.
- Irrigation Technician (8102C), Facilities Services - 46952
- Go to our website »
Irrigation Technician (8102C), Facilities Services - 46952
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services.
The prestigious UC Berkeley Campus features 187 acres of traditionally irrigated Landscape. In addition to various Off-Campus locations. The Landscape Services Irrigation Unit features a state of the art fully automated Central Control Irrigation System with 71 (on-campus) independent controllers, 54 Arad Hydrometers and 8 integrated Weather Stations.
The irrigation Unit strives for irrigation efficiency and employs extensive water-saving techniques as it's general principles such as low precipitation spray heads & emitters, check valves to prevent runoff and condition programs to automatically shut Mainline supplies if undetected flow is sensed.
The Irrigation Technician works independently and within a team as needed repairing, servicing and constructing Landscape Irrigation Systems. Actively operating the central control system through smart phones, performing expert troubleshooting diagnostics as needed to correct system issues and aid in everyday system repairs.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 29, 2022
- Perform maintenance and operation functions on campus irrigation system as assigned.
- Provide consultation to the project management as The Expert Trade Person.
- May consult independently or in conjunction with a Grounds Manager.
- The Irrigation Plumber is required to perform the task within the design standards for all irrigation plumbing materials, fixturess, and equipment, installed in repairs, renovations and new landscape s and equipment installed in repairs, renovations and new construction and knowledge of irrigation design.
- Journeyman level in pipe installation and repair and maintenance of the various types of piping materials.
- Fabricate a wide variety of campus irrigation piping systems and related components.
- Knowledge of Controllers in Irrigation Electronic Control System.
- Operate the Irrigation control center computer, read and write program for scheduling the time and duration of the irrigation system and makes reports.
- Troubleshoot, maintain and repair or replace controller and electronic parts as needed, including electronic modules, flow meters, pressure meters and moisture sensors.
- Has the knowledge to trouble shoot wires and irrigation solenoids.
- Has the ability to safely move supplies and object up to 75 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Demonstrate at all times, good communication skills with campus community, including students, academic personnel and craft personnel in a multi culture environment. Work is assigned by means of verbal and written instructions by Lead person or Supervisor/Manager.
- Execute all job assignments in a timely manner. Work is subject to inspection while in progress and upon completion.
- Accountable for his or her own actions within work spaces of the University and Campus facilities.
- Perform all work on a daily basis while conforming with Facilities Services policies and procedures and University of California's policies and procedure, including Code of Conduct, llPP ( Safety & Heath Procedures) Hazardous Materials Communication Program, Health & Safety Manual, as well as any other document authorized by Facilities management to have bearing on employee safety and conduct.
- Must be available to respond to emergencies on off hours and holidays.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Consults Lead/Supervisor/Manager/or project managers who administer requirements and standards for modification projects.
- Support maintenance projects and programmatic work assignments.
- Able to use information to track job for job completion.
- Complete paperwork in a neat and timely manner.
- Ability to read information from equipment manufacturers manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriates codes
- Operate pipe machine dies and other hand or power tools for proper appropriate threaded fittings or joints on various type of piping materials including copper pipe also on PVC materials, C-900 Pipe, and cast-iron mains.
- Obtains materials and equipment.
- Adheres to the Code of Conduct, Health & Safety Policies.
- Ability to communicate clearly using Smart phones voice calls & text.
- Operate the Irrigation control center computer, read program for scheduling the time and duration of the irrigation system and make reports.
- Attends Safety, technical and general meeting.
- 4 to 5 years Sprinklerfitter apprenticeship or equivalent work experience and demonstrate six years of journeyman experience in a craft-related trade
- Demonstrate working knowledge of local, state, and national codes and standards appropriate to the trade
- In-depth knowledge of PRV Station, Water Mains, and Irrigation Mainliners.
- Knowledge of mapping and expertise at Plan Review
- Knowledge of Controllers in Irrigation Electronic Control System
- Good communication skills
- Ability to read information from equipment manufacturers manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriates codes.
- Journeyman level in pipe installation and repair
- Certified for Full Back Flow Prevention by CA/NV AWWA.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a 100 % full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly.
- Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
- The budgeted hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $51.84 (step 1.0).
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Skilled Crafts Unit (KB) between the University of California and the Alameda County Building and Construction Trades Council (ACBCTC). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/kb/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=46952&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency