Life Safety Systems Engineer
Finance and Business is a values-driven organization that supports thousands of university faculty, staff, and students, while also providing services to the broader community and society. The Office of Physical Plant is part of the Finance and Business team and is an organization driven by its mission to "Provide Excellent Facilities Services for Penn State." The Office of Physical Plant's values follow those of Penn State's and we are especially committed to our vision to be nationally recognized as a leader in Higher Education facilities, environmental, and safety management. In our search for excellence, we foster a unified high-performing team with mutual respect for each person's uniqueness, talents, value, and perspective. We also firmly believe in Penn State's value of Respect, which encourages us to "respect and honor the dignity of each person, embrace civil discourse, and foster a diverse and inclusive community." As an incoming team member of the Office of Physical Plant, it will be expected that all employees embody and model Penn State's and Finance and Business's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Office of Physical Plant, Department of Engineering Services is seeking a Life Safety Systems Engineer. This person will be responsible for the universities fire alarms, sprinklers, extinguishings, and other life safety systems. They will provide professional engineering support for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of all Life Safety Systems for the University, offering engineering support, education, maintenance support, and inspection services, as necessary, to promote the safety of university faculty, staff, and students.
Primary duties include:
- Provide stewardship over life safety systems including Fire Alarm, Sprinkler/suppression systems, and their ancillaries. (Gas/chemical alarms, smoke evacuation, fire curtains/doors, etc.).
- Serve as the University's advocate for fire alarm upgrades and replacements as necessary.
- Provide Fire Alarm and Sprinkler System design review including systems monitored by or connected to fire alarm systems (hold doors, fire doors/curtains, critical gas, and chemical alarms, etc.).
- Review water and chemical suppression system designs and project submittals and request information documents.
- Provide professional engineering support and guidance for design and construction.
- Address poorly performing life safety systems or necessary modifications as a result of building/occupancy changes and recommend improvements to meet code.
- Perform hydraulic calculations for sprinkler and fire pump designs, as necessary.
- Maintain University design standards and specifications regarding Life Safety Systems.
- Maintain working knowledge of applicable NFPA & PA UCC codes and standards.
- Work directly with Physical Security, Environmental Health and Safety, and with University stakeholders.
- Provide building and fire code assistance as related to Life Safety systems and technologies.
- Work directly with manufacturers on system-related issues.
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties. A valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Life-Safety-Systems-Engineer_REQ_0000024862-2
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-3c06a561ebcd734e8fb30db4a930787f