Senior Associate Director - Facilities & Operations
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking a talented student affairs professional to serve as the Senior Associate Director of Retail Operations. As the community center of the University, the Illini Union draws together all members of the University with approximately 16,000 visits of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests on a daily basis.
The Senior Associate Director of Facilities and Operations is responsible for leading and managing all aspects of the Illini Union facilities operations, event management, hospitality services, maintenance, custodial, services, and capital project planning including direct supervision of full-time and student staff in reporting areas.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership and Collaboration:
- Provide leadership and insight to the strategic direction of Illini Union Facilities and Operations. Serve as a member of the Illini Union Senior Leadership Team. Lead and serve on strategic working teams and/or projects.
- Collaborate and develop productive relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders within and outside the department, University, and community.
- Advocate for and represent various stakeholders within Illini Union at the University and System level for larger and more complex construction projects.
- Encourage high morale and delivery of hospitality-focused services from reporting departments and employees through a leadership style that motivates employees to accomplish established goals and objectives in a self-motivating manner.
- Focus on customer needs, customer satisfaction, project a positive hospitality service environment, promote, and encourage an attitude of exemplary hospitality service. Conduct regular assessment of efforts in collaboration with the Illini Union assessment coordinator.
Budget Management and Project Management:
- Supervise the management of Facilities and Operations funds by working with the director and business affairs in planning, developing, and reviewing annual departmental budgets and assists in ongoing budget tracking with periodic reporting, identification of fiscal concerns, and development of responsible fiscal strategies as related to building and facility repairs, renovations, and maintenance.
- Develop plans and budgets for necessary repairs and renovations of Illini Union buildings and facilities in collaboration with the director and campus Facilities and Services (where appropriate) by analyzing data from periodic facilities audits, understanding the impact of repairs and/or renovations on existing mechanical, electrical, structural, and related systems, and recommending appropriate priorities for repair and renovations.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Provide direct supervision of the Building Operations, Facilities, and Illini Union Hotel departments of the Illini Union, including building maintenance, recycling and housekeeping, Event Services, Multi-media Services, and day/night/weekend operations. Oversee similar responsibilities for other student affairs departments/buildings as agreed upon through formal Memorandums of Understanding.
- Stay abreast of trends, needs for technology for conferences, weddings, special events, and student programs, and ensure the Illini Union has the facilities to meet the needs of today's campus community.
- Ensure the success of the Illini Union facilities by working with the director to develop short- and long-range goals and objectives that are consistent with and supportive of the institutional mission of the Illini Union, campus and Student Affairs. Reviews unit plans for facilities maintenance, custodial services, Hotel operations, and multimedia department and evaluates progress toward the achievement of established goals.
- Ensure that all Illini Union facilities are maintained in a manner, which provides clean, safe, and well-maintained environments. Conducts ongoing evaluations of the conditions of all Illini Union buildings and facilities by conducting audits of the facilities to document current conditions and compliance with life safety and building codes, advise the director of the statuses and make recommendations for corrective action of unsafe, inaccessible conditions of the buildings and facilities.
- Ensure a safe campus environment by directing the development of appropriate contingency plans that anticipate requirements for maintenance, custodial, and personnel efforts under emergency conditions and includes use of contracted services beyond the Illini Union's capabilities when appropriate.
- Assure and maintain an environment that is physically accessible to all by being familiar with standards, regulations, and laws related to accessibility, bringing discrepancies to the attention of the director, providing recommendations for solutions and coordinating with Office of Equity and Access, Safety and Compliance, and other related departments as necessary.
- Oversee Illini Union sustainability initiatives by working with campus Facilities and Services Sustainability coordinator, Student Sustainability Committee, and other campus sustainability organizations to advance efforts within the Illini Union's control and in the best interest of the organization and the University.
- Maintain an environment of open communication with all customers, colleagues, and affiliates, both on- and off-campus? serve as liaison with other campus departments in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational issues and resolves differences constructively and tactfully while treating others with respect.
- Cultivate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Develop and administer the IU operations in accordance with all University and State regulations and policies.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Illini Union.
- Serve as Illini Union senior leadership advisor to the Illini Union Board and regularly meet with the vice-president of policy to discuss new policies and procedures. Attend regular Illini Union Board Policy Committee meetings.
- Serve as the primary Illini Union liaison/point of contact to Illini Union tenants within the Illini Union.
- Perform other duties and additional responsibilities as assigned to help further the mission of the unit.
- Master's degree Facilities Management, Business Administrator, Engineering, or related field is required.
- Experience with and ability to develop and manage capital project budgets, maintenance and repair budgets, and fiscal responsibility of sustainability initiatives is required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in management/leadership, facility or a related field is required.
- Personnel management, administrative skills, and extensive leadership ability are required.
- Experience in facilities and/or operations in a college/ university setting, or student union/center? equipment maintenance programs? the delivery of services to medium/ large facilities? and, experience in working with collective bargaining units staff is preferred.
- Experience in hospitality services management, event planning, program coordination, or construction management preferred.
- Understanding of the community building role of the university union/centers? demonstrated leadership that is student focused is preferred.
- A sincere commitment to student development and student/staff partnerships are all contributing factors in selection is preferred.
- Certifications within respective facilities management programs and/or services is preferred.
- Critical leadership abilities include motivational skills, collaboration, team focus, inclusiveness, and effective communication.
- Demonstrated skills in problem-solving, decision-making and conflict resolution. Individual must demonstrate an openness to thoughts and ideas of others.
- Proven commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Ability to work with diverse staff inclusive of students and promote an appreciation for an inclusive workplace culture.
- Ability to multi-task and simultaneously manage several complex projects.
- This position occurs in general office conditions. This position may have travel demands both on and off campus. The work schedule may be inconsistent and may vary based upon work priorities and cycles. This position is responsible for facility emergency protocols and response.
- It is expected that the Senior Associate Director will be visible in the organization, necessitating a considerable amount of daily walking in a 300,000 square foot facility.
- The scope of this position requires responding to emergencies and other unforeseen situations around the clock-some evening and weekends are required.
- Periodic overnight travel is required, including several weekends throughout the year.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time academic professional position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: November 18, 2021
Application Procedures: All candidates must complete an online application at jobs.illinois.edu prior to the application deadline for full consideration. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of application, resume, and contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) for three current professional references. Official transcripts will be required for all finalists. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
Human Resources and Administrative Shared Services
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency