Steamfitter/ Boiler Mechanic
Department: Mechanical Services and Central Heating
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 06/03/2021
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS046P
Pay Rate: $25.78/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Steamfitter/ Boiler Mechanic is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repairs of high and low pressure oil and gas fired boilers, furnaces, controls, auxiliary equipment, and steam distribution systems. Responsibilities:
- Operates, maintains, and repairs high and low pressure oil and gas fired boilers, furnaces, controls.
- Examines machines and mechanical equipment to diagnose source of trouble.
- Dismantles or partly dismantles steam and boiler systems and performing repairs that mainly involve the use of hand tools.
- Install and maintain piping systems, supports, and related materials.
- Install, replace, and repair pumps that are connected to piping systems.
- Repair leaks on piping systems and repair and replace thermostats and valves.
- Test and operate hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for heating and cooling systems, as well as other mechanical systems that use piping.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Conform to all federal, state, and local regulatory agencies with regard to codes (i.e. EPA, OSHA, ASTM, ADA, NEC, UL, ASME, ISA, AMSI, and Vassar policies).
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with other trades.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar owned equipment assigned to the employee.
- Maintain inventory of the materials needed for the steam and condensate systems upkeep of the facilities.
- Adherence to established company safety policies and good industrial and office safety practices.
- Dealing with a variety of people in a professional, courteous manner in diversified situations.
- Ability and experience in pipefitting is required.
- Performs minor welding.
- Performs other duties as related to the shop as assigned.
- Five years experience in all aspects of the maintenance and repair of steam and condensate distribution systems, boilers, furnaces, and auxiliary systems and controls. Education and training may be substituted for experience.
- The ability to operate all related test equipment, specialized tools and to read control prints to perform necessary repair functions.
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of time.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and scaffolding.
- Attendance and performance will be considered.
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing is required.
- Must possess good communication skills for a service team environment.
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2119.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency