Fire Alarm Shop Supervisor
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 37193
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 07-11-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Physical Plant Services provides superior services in facilities and infrastructure operations, building maintenance, custodial services, grounds and roads services, and refuse and recycling services. Our mission is to contribute to the University's mission by operating and maintaining a safe, clean, and efficiently run campus.
More information can be found here: ppc.ucsc.edu
Under the direction of the Building, Utility & Fleet Services Electrical Senior Superintendent, supervise the operation, and maintenance of the fire alarm systems and all associated equipment related to these systems. Provide written and oral reports, project support, prepares estimates, manages performance and writes performance appraisals & procedures, perform planning, coordinating, inspection and scheduling of work assignments for six Physical Plant Mechanic Specialists.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $122,000 - $124,000 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 005044 (SKLD CRAFTS TRADES SUPV 2)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
- Develop work standards and establish shop goals and objectives. Determines work rules, sets performance standards, sets individual expectations, coaches and provides feedback for the staff. Hires, trains, writes and conducts performance appraisals for six Physical Plant Mechanic Specialists. Oversees or schedules daily work assignments for all supervised. Establish and implement departmental guidelines for safety, and ensure maintenance of a safe working environment. Provide appropriate specialized or technical training for staff. Performs long range planning, daily planning and scheduling of work assignments by inspecting jobs, discussing requests with various campus units, writing daily schedules, distributing work orders, making procedure and material selection recommendations, ordering and inspecting materials required for the job, coordinating, dispatching, establishing or adjusting work procedures to meet schedules, analyzing and resolving work problems. Establish deferred maintenance needs, rationale and priorities for areas managed.
- Perform safety inspections and maintain equipment used by shop personnel. Attends safety and training classes and performs job related tasks in a safe manner. Follows all product and university specific safety procedures when using tools and equipment. Ensures that fire alarm shop personnel are trained in safety and I2P2 compliance and that it is documented. Use of university vehicle and master keys.
- Work with Design and Construction Services' project managers and architects, Engineering Services' engineers, and Work Management project managers, from design through construction and alterations of existing, as it pertains to fire alarm systems. Provide plan and submittal review comments, advise on RFI response and oversee commissioning for these systems and other systems or utilities that may need verification of operation during project closeout. Review engineering plans and make recommendations for maintenance and alterations.
- Manage the operation, maintenance and repair of the fire alarm systems and assist the campus police department with security systems support. Establish daily weekly, monthly, semi-annual and annual preventative maintenance programs for all systems and equipment. Inspect buildings, facilities, equipment and utility systems to determine maintenance needs. Prioritize work orders for repair and work projects. Establish budget levels for labor and materials; follow budget trends and adjust operations to meet budget goals and guidelines. Arrange for additions and deletions to crib stock inventory of spare parts for the equipment, utilities, and systems. Perform operating maintenance inspections of facilities and equipment that require federal, state, county or municipal permits.
- Contract work for repair or replacement: develop or request development of necessary specifications; request price and/or bids from vendors; utilize purchase orders, work order authorizations, blanket contract, brief form contracts, perform inspection services for proper completion of work; maintain customer liaison to assure satisfactory completion of the work.
- Respond to campus callouts after normal hours, weekends and holidays.
- Write and or establish and maintain operating procedures, control schemes, history files, software archives, for the fire alarm system. Assure the provision of efficient, state-of-the-art equipment to support existing systems. Manage software licenses and issuance of software to Physical Plant Services' Work Management, Engineering Services, and Design and Construction Services for contract work. Establish and maintain procedures to ensure the department's compliance with state codes and laws.
- Act as liaison with campus Disaster Team regarding operation of fire alarm life safety systems in emergencies.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by Senior Superintendent.
- Experience with the operation and maintenance of central fire alarm and monitoring systems and pertaining code requirements.
- Knowledge of architectural and engineering designs or practices as they pertain to buildings, structures, equipment, utilities, electrical and electronic systems.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use various software systems for reporting, scheduling work, researching material needs, control of fire alarm systems.
- Proven ability to estimate, plan, prioritize, schedule and organize preventative maintenance programs, work order repairs and projects.
- Ability to analyze, diagnose and resolve technical maintenance problems.
- Ability to provide technical and safety support and training for a multi-craft organization.
- Knowledge of the NEC, CEC, NFPA 72, NFPA 101 & CalOSHA Safety Regulations.
- Strong leadership ability, supervisory skills and knowledge of supervisory practices and methods.
- Demonstrated strong ability to identify, analyze and solve multi-faceted problems.
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to provide and receive clear, concise information, and effectively communicate and interact with various groups, including: staff, students, and faculty.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to provide and receive clear, concise information, and effectively communicate and interact with various groups, including: staff, students, and faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and set priorities in the context of a full, multifaceted set of responsibilities. Ability to work under pressure of immediate deadlines and constantly shifting priorities.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Siemens MXL IOM & Programming.
- Siemens XLS IOM & Programming.
- Previous/related management and supervisory experience in a similar environment with the ability to motivate a diverse staff.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Nicet Level 1 within 18 months of hire.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions requiring the ability to climb ladders, scaffolds, stairs, and work in confined spaces and in proximity to loud machinery.
- Ability to occasionally work overtime with little or no advance notice. Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and/or Holidays. Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary. to accommodate the campus needs for shutdowns, projects and system testing.
- Ability to work a temporary alternative schedule or shift (e.g., swing shift) as requested by supervisor.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency