- Building Operations Manager - SILICON VALLEY
- Go to our website »
Building Operations Manager - SILICON VALLEY
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 49402
Our campus is located in Santa Clara, CA, the Heart of Silicon Valley. We like to say that it's here where the next generation of innovation is born.
Do YOU have a track record of:
* Providing exceptional customer service through effective and efficient leadership?
* Solving problems in a resourceful and oftentimes spontaneous manner?
* Applying a tech-savvy approach to building operations?
* Evaluating and prioritizing multiple tasks requiring immediate attention?
* Interacting with excellent interpersonal skills with co-workers, students and the public?
If you answered "YES" or "ABSOLUTELY YES" to the questions above, the Building Operations Manager may be the job for you.
NOTE: This is a fully-onsite position. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
This position is a part of the Building Operations Team located at 3175 Bowers Ave., Santa Clara, CA. This team provides facility services and support to staff, faculty, students and guests of the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus, which houses the following organizations: UCSC Extension, Baskin Engineering, UC Scout and Smarter Balanced. Under the supervision of the Sr. Director of IT and Building Operations, the incumbent manages the day to day functions of the Building Operations Team. Functions include but are not limited to: Implementing and coordinating building management procedures, space planning processes, specialized use such as event space scheduling, coordinating activities amongst multiple building occupants, departments, etc. Facilitating conversations and collaborating with management on the design and plan for space allocation. Applying extensive knowledge and experience of organizational buildings, infrastructure, policies and procedures. Determining best practices, methods and procedures on new assignments and projects. This position is a member of the Emergency Response Team.
Extension is an equity-minded organization that represents the full diversity of the University of California and demonstrates a sensitivity to and understands the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community; UCSC Extension Silicon Valley combines the academic excellence of the University of California with the expertise of seasoned practitioners. This collaboration provides advanced professional training that addresses the real-world needs of people who work and live in Silicon Valley and beyond.
Live in Silicon Valley and work for the University of California Santa Cruz! Join our team!
You're still here; it's time to check out this job description and apply.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 03-13-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Building Operations Team, located at 3175 Bowers Ave., Santa Clara, CA, provides facility services and support to staff, faculty, students and guests of the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus, which houses the following organizations: UCSC Extension, Baskin Engineering, UC Scout and Smarter Balanced.
More information can be found here: https://www.ucsc-extension.edu/
Under the supervision of the Sr. Director of IT and Building Operations, the incumbent manages the day to day functions of the Building Operations Team. Functions include but are not limited to: Implementing and coordinating building management procedures, space planning processes, specialized use such as event space scheduling, coordinating activities amongst multiple building occupants, departments, etc. The incumbent facilitates conversations and collaborates with management on the design and plan for space allocation. This position applies extensive knowledge and experience of organizational buildings, infrastructure, policies and procedures, determining best practices, methods and procedures on new assignments and projects. This incumbent is a member of the Emergency Response Team.
Budgeted Salary: $73,850 - $98,245 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, occasional weekends
- Shift Includes: Days, occasional evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007374 (ADMIN SUPV 1)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
50% - Supervision / Personnel management
- Assign, monitor and evaluate work performance of direct reports. Provide direction and assistance to staff
- Write job descriptions, coordinate recruitments, interview and hire support staff.
- Establish training procedures for Operations staff in the areas of reception, customer service, safety, security control, maintenance, and upkeep of the facility.
- Provide performance evaluation, disciplinary action, recommend merits and rewards, provide appropriate feedback and conduct corrective action and dismissal if needed.
- Review and approve staff timesheets for accuracy.
- Monitor outsourced security service, hold regular meetings with a security officer, and supervise to ensure adherence to security objectives and priorities.
40% - Facility and Operations Management
- Manages in the design, creation, and reporting of building maintenance, call center and other operational building processes. Utilizes a tech-savvy approach to the interrelated aspects facility and operations management.
- Collaborates with department leadership on the development of space planning; evaluates and advises on the design and allocation. Negotiations of space use delegate for the Space Control Officer responsible for utilization of space when conflicts arise.
- Develops and monitors policies and procedures related to facility maintenance and customer service. Reviews building management procedures and recommends changes; ensures relevance and adherence to internal and external regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for emergency building repairs and responses. Evaluate and make recommendations to upgrade maintenance operations and/or implement savings opportunities.
- Maintains adherence to safety protocols and regulations by adhering to regular training for specialized equipment and hazardous materials storage and disposal. Coordinates with multiple units throughout the organization to provide a safe and secure facilities environment.
- Oversees classroom set-ups and Event Space configurations for outside organizations and instructors. Responsible for initiating permit contracts for Event Space use and following through to completion.
- Oversees physical access management. Manage systems and procedures to protect departmental and university assets. Assists in administration of building physical and logical security systems (brass keys and ID badge access).
- Determines scope of services provided by building services providers, oversees vendors, and manages contracts. Works with internal and external agencies/contractors as needed in regards to existing contract terms or to solicit or negotiate contracts. Responsible for quality and quantity of work. Oversees work/services that are performed by third-party contractors.
- Provides planning and coordination for construction and alteration of projects on a continuous basis.
- Works with contractors in recommending infrastructure modifications and improvements with respect to plumbing, electrical, network, security, HVAC etc, when needed. Coordinates emergency repairs during and after work hours.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for outreach to and communication with building neighbors to advise of activities that may affect those entities.
- Participates in special projects if any.
10% - Financial Manaagement
- Prepare and monitor financial records/transactions for the creation of the facility annual budget.
- Develops budgets for management review to include moves with significant building infrastructure upgrades.
- Administers department budget which typically covers maintenance and operations, office renovations, safety and security, and furniture.
- Processes financial paperwork and recharges departments as needed.
- Creates purchase requisitions and tracks procurement of products and services using Cruzbuy online system for a variety of facility related services.
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of building space planning, codes, capacity, security, fire safety, organization and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills, including active listening, critical thinking, ability to multitask effectively, persuasion / negotiation, mentoring, leadership / supervision, problem solving, operations analysis and quality control analysis. Advanced skills in working collaboratively and influencing others.
- Advanced skills and innovative, tech savvy approach to assess processes or services to make improvements and in project management. Advanced skill to multi-task and effectively prioritize large project work.
- Advanced knowledge and skill regarding specialized research needs in space planning and advanced skill to effectively translate needs to professional architects and engineers.
- Solid knowledge of policies and procedures relative to facilities maintenance, equipment, customer service, dispatch, building maintenance, safety and emergency preparedness.
- Solid knowledge in supervising facility maintenance and improvements along with building maintenance work to include one or more of the following: basic plumbing and pipefitting, carpentry, painting and plastering, service of machinery, and electrical maintenance.
- Knowledge of and experience with physical security and access systems. Advanced knowledge of architectural or engineering concepts.
- Experience in budgeting in support of building systems and services. Experience in negotiation and management of service contracts.
- Experience in community relations and stakeholder communications.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations and best practices related to maintenance and construction activities.
- Experience with Building Management Systems.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
- Knowledge of UCSC policies and processes regarding Physical Planning & Development
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions.
- The ability to ascend/descend ladders with or without accommodation.
- Ability to conduct outdoor site visits, including use of required personal protective equipment, as required to conduct investigations, inspections, or view work in place.
- Ability to sustain exposure to dusty, noisy environments and inclement weather as necessary to carry out assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to safely perform the physical requirements necessary in storing and moving materials. The ability to lift light to moderate objects up to 40 lbs., with or without accommodation.
- Will be required to work all scheduled hours on-site.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Ability to occasionally work overtime with little or no advance notice.
- Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Ability to work overtime including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs, and work an alternate work schedule shift as required.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to read signs and follow directions on labels that are written in English as well as ability to read and understand Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and the proper use of chemical compounds.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency