This ad is expired.
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: Evergreen Valley College
The Groundskeeper III will report to the Director of College Fiscal Services at Evergreen Valley College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under general supervision, perform a full range of duties including skilled gardening, irrigation systems, turf and tree trimming in the maintenance and repair of landscaped areas; operating commercial trucks and a wide variety of turf mowing, tree care and other landscaping maintenance equipment. General supervision is provided by the Grounds Supervisor. Assignments may require technical or functional direction of a project or work crew or to provide training to less experienced grounds maintenance personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain ornamental and athletic field turf-grass areas by operating a wide variety of mowing equipment that includes commercial self-propelled rotary, triplex, tractor drawn gang and hand mowers as well as power lawn edgers, weed-eaters and power turf sweepers.
2. Maintain automatic sprinkler irrigation systems for turf-grass, shrubbery, groundcover and tree plantings; repair to 3 automatic irrigation valves of various manufacturers; repair various manufactured commercial sprinkler heads; troubleshoot controller and electric valve problems; and monitor irrigation pond water level, maintain filtering system and assist in valve maintenance. Repair main lines up to 8 in size.
3. Repair athletic fields to include brown or wet spots related to the irrigation system which may include re-seeding, requiring coordination with athletic events; prepare athletic fields by marking fields, setting up benches, chairs, barriers, and scoreboards; ensure athletic fields conform to regulations and specifications.
4. Maintain ornamental areas of campuses and District Offices operating a wide variety of power equipment including chainsaws, power edgers and hedge trimmers, weed eaters, sprayers, tote vehicles, tractor and loader, forklifts, turf sweepers and aerial lifts.
5. Prune trees, shrubs and vines at proper season and with knowledge of correct procedures; edge groundcovers and renovate as needed; fertilize, apply pre-emergent herbicides, insecticides and fungicides to ornamental plantings; and use wide range of hand tools in performing maintenance of ornamental areas.
6. Mix, load and apply insecticides, fungicides, herbicides and fertilizers to ornamental plants and turf-grass; calibrate spray equipment ranging in size from two hundred gallon power rigs to three gallon spray cans; calibrate fertilizer spreaders; and apply materials in a safe manner, at recommended rates.
7. Apply bait for squirrels, rats and mice; trap and eradicate gophers to provide safe athletic field playing surfaces; and apply chemicals to irrigation pond to control aquatic weeds.
8. Perform landscape construction functions involved in renovation of old paintings and new landscape installations; operate tractor and various attachments including loader, scraper, airefier, rototiller, overseeder, flail mower and auger in accomplishing required tasks; plant and stake trees, plant shrubs, groundcover and vines; prepare planting areas by rototilling in soil amendments and fertilizers, hand or tractor grading; install drain lines, headerboards; install new irrigation systems or modify old systems; and operate trenchers, install mainlines, valves, lateral lines, sprinkler heads and control wires to irrigation controller.
9. Perform a variety of tasks such as concrete work, blacktop repair, cyclone fence repair and assist Custodian and Maintenance staff as required.
10. Participate in District training as directed.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
In addition to performing work of a Grounds Gardener I and II, the position will be responsible for the following duties:
12. Plan, install, maintain and repair sprinkler and hydraulic systems; clean, adjust and repair sprinkler heads, valves, devices, controllers, pumps, and related components and equipment. Prevent cross connection of recycled and domestic water during all irrigation modifications or repairs.
13. Inspect, service and repair irrigation controllers and related electrical components; troubleshoot computerized electronic systems, irrigation controllers, solenoid valves and wiring; adjust central irrigation computer and controllers for correct programming; check plant material to assure proper amounts of water; adjust computerized and manual irrigation systems according to seasons, soil conditions and water distribution rates.
14. Climb trees by means of climbing rope and climbing saddle to prune trees to shape, top, fell, thin, and remove diseased and dead wood; improve structural integrity and enhance aesthetic appearance; operate a hydraulic lift truck at considerable heights and climb by means of rope and saddle to considerable heights to carry out tree care activities.
15. Using climbing spurs, power chainsaws, pole saws, hand saws and hydraulic saws aloft, remove and lower limbs from trees by rigging with ropes and other tree care devices; and provide safety for the public by cordoning off work areas.
16. Work alone or as a member of a crew; when trimming trees at a height of 7' or above work as a team member.
17. Estimate and record time, labor and material costs and charges; order supplies and materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Methods, materials, tools, safety practices and equipment used in grounds maintenance.
2. Common plant, tree and turf pests and diseases and methods for their control and eradication.
3. Principles and practices used in irrigation system operation and maintenance.
4. Irrigation system design and irrigation control systems and equipment.
5. Methods and materials used in the installation, maintenance, and repair of automatic sprinkler systems.
6. Sizes and specifications of pipes and fittings for proper volume and pressure.
7. Tree species, their growth habits and appropriate pruning practices for the different tree species.
8. General and specific tree care safety practices in relation to climbing and operating tree care equipment, including safety related to electrical hazard.
9. Applicable pesticides and the laws and regulations regarding their application and use.
10. Health and safety regulations; procedures used in aerial rescue.
11. Proper and effective use of landscape maintenance tools, equipment and materials.
12. Applicable safety codes, ordinances and regulations.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Read and understand technical manuals, wiring diagrams, and blueprints. 2. Analyze and diagnose system malfunctions. 3. Climb trees by the use of climbing rope and climbing saddle. 4. Work at considerable heights above the ground in performing tree care operations. 5. Operate and maintain a variety of equipment and tools. 6. Observe safety requirements and safe work practices and methods as required. 7. Perform routine work involving moderate to heavy physical labor. 8. Work in an environment where there is high exposure to dust, pollens, and other allergens. 9. Ability to withstand extensive standing, walking, stooping, squatting, pushing, pulling, and climbing. 10. Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships. 11. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions. 12. Work independently and under minimal supervision
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. 2. One year of experience performing semi-skilled or skilled tree care, landscape maintenance work, and/or irrigation system repair and maintenance given the specific requirement of the assignment. Licenses and Certificates: 1. Possession of or ability to obtain a California Class C Drivers license within nine months of initial employment and maintain the up-to-date license during the course of employment. 2. Possession of or ability to obtain California Pesticide Applicators Certificate (Category B, Landscape Maintenance) within nine months of initial employment and maintain the certificate during the course of employment
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$63,239 - $77,276 Annual Salary (Range 85: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2021-2022). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency