This ad is expired.
Senior Building Maintenance Worker - SILICON VALLEY
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 45369
Our campus is located in Santa Clara, CA, the Heart of Silicon Valley. We like to say that it's here where the next generation of innovation is born.
Do YOU have a track record of:
- Responding to and providing the following services: plumbing, carpentry, painting, heating and electrical repair?
- Evaluating and prioritizing multiple tasks with frequent interruptions?
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with co-workers, students and the public?
If you answered "YES" or "ABSOLUTELY YES" to the questions above, the Sr. Building Maintenance Worker may be the job for you.
NOTE: This is a fully-onsite position. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
This position is a part of the Building Operations team located at 3175 Bowers Ave., Santa Clara, CA. Under the supervision of the Facilities Manager, the incumbent provides building maintenance to staff, faculty, students, and guests of the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus. Functions include, but are not limited to: resolving any building maintenance needs such as plumbing, wiring, cabling, communicating regularly with vendors to maintain premises, maintaining proper functioning of the HVAC, fire alarm, elevators, etc. keeping up with building emergency protocols, keeping up with the landscaping needs, assisting customers in person and by phone, respond to email inquiries, help prepare classrooms with furniture needs for courses and events, checking the schedule of conference room space, and work collaboratively with all departments throughout the organization to accomplish tasks that ensure safety, proper building maintenance and excellent customer service. This position participates as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
Extension is an equity-minded organization that represents the full diversity of the University of California and demonstrates a sensitivity to and understands the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community; UCSC Extension Silicon Valley combines the academic excellence of the University of California with the expertise of seasoned practitioners. This collaboration provides advanced professional training that addresses the real-world needs of people who work and live in Silicon Valley and beyond.
Live in Silicon Valley and work for the University of California Santa Cruz! Join our team!
You're still here; it's time to check out this job description and apply.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 11-30-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the incumbent performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks at the UCSC Silicon Valley Campus and administrative facility at 3175 Bowers Ave. SANTA CLARA, CA 95054.
The incumbent works as part of a regular maintenance crew, participates in office moves, performs tasks to uphold safety and security standards, keeps records of repairs, maintains schedules for routine maintenance and prepares classrooms for events and specialized set-ups for upcoming classes. In addition, the incumbent plans and performs work using knowledge of electrical/electronic and mechanical theories and principles, writing specifications, local and national electrical codes, properties of various materials, and principles of operation and application of electronic equipment.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $29.81 - $31.64 / Hourly. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Tues-Sat
- Shift Includes: Tues: 10am-8pm; Wed: 10am-8pm; Thurs: 10am-8pm; Fri: 10am-8pm; Sat: 8am-12pm
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley
Union Representation: SX - Service
Job Code Classification: 008212 (BLDG MAINT WORKER SR)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
95% - Maintenance and Repair
- Responsible for assessing, prioritizing, and coordinating minor ongoing maintenance repairs for the Silicon Valley Campus.
- Responds to internal plumbing, electrical, and mechanical repairs within occupied space, public areas, and classrooms.
- Responds to notice of malfunctions; determines repairs required; obtains parts as needed and completes the repair.
- Acts as Key Custodian for all building keys. Issues keys; orders keys; maintains staff key records.
- Paints interior of the building as needed.
- Records work order requests and tracks completion via an online reporting tool.
- Equipment Custodian: responsible for quarterly and annual monitoring, tracking, and reporting of all Silicon Valley Campus equipment and inventory.
- Responsible for office move installations, determining configurations and ordering needed parts; assembles needed cubicles and furniture.
- As directed, installs and/or affixes whiteboards, screens, and other classroom and office equipment.
- Installs brochure racks, frames, and mounts pictures, installs mini-blinds, adjusts the lighting in occupied space.
- Handles proper recycling of electronic and hazardous waste generated from ITS, maintenance, and staff.
- Organizes and maintains equipment, storage rooms, and storage cages using appropriate shelving and organizing materials.
- Exercises a good understanding of the organization's policies and procedures by attending safety and security training relevant to job responsibilities.
- Assists with health and safety issues for students, staff, and visitors.
- Participates as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
- Follows security regulations to ensure the protection and safety of University staff and property.
- Responsible for securing the facility classrooms and property, as needed.
- Responsible for the delivery, set-up, and operation of Audio Visual equipment as well as troubleshooting equipment malfunctions, providing instructor training and assistance, deferring to IT as appropriate.
- Arranges classroom set-ups for events - moving chairs, tables, and other furniture and equipment as necessary.
- Creates new employee staff nameplates and updates them as needed.
- Secures cabinets, bookcases and other university property using protective measures to ensure safety standards are upheld in accordance with University and State regulations and to minimize earthquake damage.
- Employs safe use of hand and power tools.
5% - Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs ad hoc duties and projects as assigned by the Operations Manager.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with co-workers, instructors, students, and the public in a high volume, public contact setting, with a professional demeanor.
- Two years of experience in the performance of semi-skilled building maintenance work.
- Basic knowledge of plumbing, carpentry, painting, heating, and electrical repair.
- Experience and skills in the safe use of hand and power tools.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and evaluate changing and conflicting priorities. Ability to exercise appropriate judgment when prioritizing tasks. Organizational skills sufficient to establish priorities and complete assignments within specified guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks amid frequent interruptions. Ability to work independently, tracking and communicating progress to supervisor as needed regarding assigned projects.
- Ability to apply independent initiative, discretion, and judgment to address problems and develop workable solutions.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated written communication skills using grammar, spelling, and punctuation sufficient for accurate email and standard Word documents.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California. Interviewees will be required to provide a current DMV record.
- Ability to move materials weighing up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Ability to follow security regulations to ensure the protection and safety of University staff and property.
- Ability to work a variable schedule, including evenings.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency